Let’s have a look at how to create an auction entry to set the base for the provenance of your artworks.
Ensure precise data entry and quick linking of a sales catalogue by creating the publication entry before adding it to the auction entry.
- Go to the section Auctions in the main menu.
- Click Create, then select Create Auction from the drop-down menu.
- A dialog opens to enter the main information about the auction. Type in the exhibition’s title and if at hand the short title and date. Click Save to create the entry.
- You will be directed to the auction entry to add further information such as auction houses, agents, and a sales catalogue.
- To add an auction house, click + Add in the respective field. A dialog opens. Either select an agent from the recent selections or the overview list or create a new agent.
- After selecting the agent, select the agent’s name and address and Save.
- To add other agents click + Add in the respective field. A dialog opens. Either select an agent from the recent selections or the overview list, or create a new agent.
- After selecting the agent, select the agent’s name, address, and role. Click Save.
- To connect a publication with the auction, click + Add Catalogue. A dialog opens. Select the publication from the overview in the dialogue. Save by clicking Select. The type of publication should ideally be a sales catalogue as it is associated with the auction sale.
- Add artworks included at the auction in the respective field. Click + Add and select an artwork from the list view. Save by clicking Select.
Connecting an artwork to an auction will create a provenance event in the artwork entry. Note that this provenance event is not automatically ordered and should be reviewed.